Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patrick's Day, Part 1


I'm planning on more holiday-themed posts this year. So I had to do one for St. Patrick's Day, me being Irish and raised Catholic and all, faith and begorrah. I was going to do a quickie collage, like I did for Valentine's Day. Then I found blogs with posts like this. So I decided to do wallpapers. In fact, almost twenty, so I'm splitting them into two posts. Hey, if there's any holiday I'm going to get carried with, it should be St. Patrick's Day. Almost all have green backgrounds, to go with the holiday.

First of is Jonathan Rhys Meyers. With the middle name of Rhys, I always thought he was Welsh. Then I discovered his real name is Jonathan Michael Francis O'Keeffe. Which is about as Irish as you can get. Meyers is his mother's maiden name. I have no idea why he uses Rhys.

I've never seen any of his work. Now that I know he's Irish, I feel a bit bad about that, him being like a distant country cousin and all. I've long meant to watch Velvet Goldmine, for example, and now I'll have to make a point to see it. I've not seen Mission: Impossible III, or any of the new MI movies. When I heard what they've done with them, it made me annoyed with what I felt was a lack of respect for the source material. Same reason I never saw the Wild Wild West movie or that other one. Heck, I've not even seen The Tudors, which is saying something, with having been in the SCA for so many years.

Interestingly, he has a connection with one of the subjects of my next post. They appeared in two movies together, The Disappearance of Finbar and Alexander. More on that in that post.

The other subject is someone whose work I have seen, Stuart Townsend. I first ran across him, like many, in Queen of the Damned. His Lestat was miles slinkier and sexier than the previous portrayer. Damned came out in 2002, but I didn't see his next major role for a while. That was Dorian Grey in 2003's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. When I did see it, I liked it. He was less slinky, but still as sexy. I loved his guest bit on Will and Grace, where he was "sexing" people right and left. Stu could "sex" me any time he likes. Plus I'd never seen him do funny, and was pleasantly surprised at the results. I had mixed feelings about him in the revival of Night Stalker. Much as I'm a fan of his, I just didn't like how far they veered from the original, which has been one of my favorites for ages. Most other people must have felt the same way, since it barely lasted a season. Townsend has stayed employed, which doesn't surprise me. This December he turns 40, joining the ever-increasing group of guys who just keep getting more smoking as they get older.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails