Thursday, August 30, 2012

In Memoriam


There is nothing wrong with your computer. We are controlling transmission.

You know, I don't think I've ever mentioned here what I think was one of the best series ever, The Outer Limits. It only lasted a season and a half between 1963 and 1965. It's often confused with The Twilight Zone, but I think TOL was infinitely better.

One reason I've not brought it up is finding decent pictures from the show. And it was completely filmed in black and white. It's not like they didn't have their share of fit guys. William Shatner (pre-Star Trek), Robert Culp, Nick Adams and Michael Forest, to name a few. The young rebel archetype proved briefly popular on the show. A fine example of that was Ethan Wechsler in The Children of Spider County, played by Lee Kinsolving.

Lee had an all too brief career, from 1958 to 1966, when he retired from acting because he got tired of the system. He worked steadily on TV during that time, including an episode of The Twilight Zone. After he quit acting, he moved to Florida. He passed away in 1974 in Palm Beach from a strange illness. He was only 36.

A review of the episode can be found at the We Are Controlling Transmission blog. You can also find out more about the show there. I liked the revival of the series years later, but the original will always hold a special place in my heart. I saw it in reruns in the 70s, and in a lot of ways it helped me get through my teen years.

We now return control of your computer to you.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails